Sunday, December 15, 2019

week three: fake advertisement

The other day, I was watching hulu and THIS AD randomly popped up. I looked up from my phone and watched it all the way through, and I was almost crying at the end I thought it was so cute. I immediately thought that I should use it for my media blog, as in thirty seconds, the ad made me want to donate my entire savings account to the Raley's Food for Families program. I assumed the ad had to be telling some inkling of truth, and must give food to families in need. I was convinced that if I could make a family as happy as they had been in the Raley's commercial just by donating to Food for Families, then why not donate? Why not sell my soul, even? Following getting made fun of my brother for getting teary eyed at a hulu ad, I looked up the ad on Youtube to watch the full version. I read the comments of the video on Youtube, and more than half of them were written by people claiming to be Raley's employees. There were four or five long comments written by different people saying not to donate to the program because the money didn't end up going to the program - it ended up in the Raley's cash register. Seeing these comments that I assume are being truthful about where the money goes made me wonder just how much advertisement manipulation I've been subjected to in my time on earth. If this ad is a complete lie, and basically convinced me to sell my soul to Raley's with 30 seconds of a sad song and adorable kids, how many other companies that I'm convinced do good for the world are actually big fat fakers?
Image result for advertisement manipulation

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. After watching the ad, I also felt obligated to donate also. This ad reminds me of when we talked about the White Man's Industrial Complex in history, where the people who donate do not know where their money really goes. The idea that we spend money as an easy coping mechanism matches this scenario almost perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think these types of ads should be illegal. They are trying to lure people in by thinking they’re doing a good thing when in reality it’s going to a major corporation. It’s simply wrong and immoral.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you as well. Almost all advertisements have some sort of hidden truths and usually contain many lies and false appearances. Such as the picture you chose to associate with your blog. So many ads use little tricks and techniques to make their product look better then it really is, or use specific actors, such as cute little kids, to overall collect more money and make their businesses more successful.

    ReplyDelete